Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Planning your trip to NYFW

by Tieka, Selective Potential

Hey everyone! While Elizabeth will be covering more of the blogging basics like establishing your voice, learning how to take better outfit pictures, networking and all of that fun stuff... I'll be covering more of the fashion week aspect of INDIE this year! We'll be taking you through the typical fashion week process for a blogger... right from the beginning of planning your trip to NYFW!

1. My first step was to book a hotel. I booked my hotel way before any of the events and conferences were planned. A lot of the events are planned quite last minute and if you wait to book your hotel, you might have some troubles... so having our hotel booked and secured was a weight off my shoulders!

2. Book your flight! Try to fly out of the closest large city to you. I'm flying out of Chicago rather than Michigan, but I saved nearly $200 off my flight!

3. Start booking events! This is where networking really comes in handy. We'll be posting more about networking in the future of the conference, but once you've established some connections with people in the industry - you can start reaching out about any events they are having or any conferences. Put in your RSVPs early - a lot of these events fill up fast!

4. Stay organized. I keep all of my paper items in a folder labeled "New York Fashion Week" and will also be using my iPhone like crazy to keep track. Print any tickets for events you RSVP'd for and store them in your folder. You'll need them in NYC!

5. Keep an itinerary with events, times, locations and addresses and other notes that you might need to remind yourself. It has been super helpful to not overbook events and to fill up my days with an up-to-date itinerary!

6. Be sure to print all of your flight information and read up on any rules and regulations - like carry on and fluid regulations! You also need a government issued I.D. to board any flight. Having all of this handy will be really helpful once you're at the airport! Also take into consideration any side costs when flying. It costs extra to check a bag so make sure you're prepared for any surprises!

7. Ask friends for recommendations on apps or other useful things you'll need in the city. I recently downloaded Hopstop which will help me with walking directions and Subway information. (I'm always so lost in the city!)

If you have all of these things organized before your trip, you'll feel ready for anything! We would also recommend using Twitter to keep up-to-date with all of your events and friends in the city. They'll have inside tricks and tips and you can easily communicate with them if you have questions! (By the way, you can keep up to date with me in the city on Twitter here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment