Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Branding Yourself


by Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky

Branding yourself is important as a blogger. Most of the time, not only are you branding your blog, but because your blog is very much a part of yourself, you're also branding you. Especially as a personal style blogger, your blog and your brand is mostly about yourself, so you want to be really intentional about how you go about presenting your "brand."

One important step to defining your branding is determining what kind of blogger you are and what sort of vibe you have. Some bloggers are more edgy and modern, others are more vintage inspired. What kind of image are you looking to present? Are you really high-fashion and edgy? Do you love bright colors and graphic, bold colors? Are you more into retro prints or scrapbook-inspired layouts? Really take some time to evaluate how to represent your brand. Once you do this, you can move forward with designing your layout and creating a branding that encompasses your web presence. This can even go as far as affecting how you edit your photographs!


When I thought about my own branding, I thought about things I love. I love faux wood grain, vintage wallpaper, tacky 70's things, and avocado green. I'm pretty sure it's not hard to tell that all these things that I love really influenced my branding. For one thing, I have to look at my own branding everyday, so I'd better like it! And for another thing, if people are getting a glimpse into who I am based on my branding, it should speak to the things that you love. It would be silly for me to brand my blog like Le Blog De Betty has her blog branded because we are totally different people with different styles. I'd be misrepresenting myself and my blog if I went about trying to emulate her branding. Plus, it'd be really confusing for my readers if my branding didn't match the content of my blog. The more they read my blog and saw my photos, the more they'd be perplexed by the incongruity.

When thinking about your brand, consider the following:

1. What are your favorite colors?
Create a palette of 3 to 4 colors that compliment eachother which you'd like to be your main colors. You're gonna want to choose a color palate that you both like and something that works well in a design.

I chose more vintage 70's colors, but if you look at Tieka's blog, you see that she uses more neutrals. Some people enjoy a more light, pastel color palate, while others like bold, bright primary or neon colors. Whether it be jewel tones, or monochrome, choose a color palate that works in your favor. It's a good idea to limit the number of colors to no more than 5, just so the color story doesn't get muddled or too busy. Kaelah has basically three colors in her branding: pink, light blue and white. You can see how visually striking her design is and how it immediately communicates her branding.


2. What kind of fonts do you like?

Are you more into sans serif, clean and modern fonts, or more handwritten fonts? I'm kind of a typography nerd, so I always love a good font and I believe that they are crucial for branding. There are so many free font sites out there for you to pick a nice font for your blog (one that I use regularly is dafont.com). There's no reason for anyone to be using Curlz MT, Papyrus, or Comic Sans. Pick a main font, and then have one or two accent fonts. Tieka has Helvetica as her main font in her header, and then she uses the cute handwritten font for her post titles and stuff like that.


3. Can you define your blog's visual theme? Are you more into minimalism, or do you like patterns and more eclectic designs?

Since I like tacky 70's-ish things, I instantly gravitate towards gaudy 70's patterns and faux wood, which is why I chose those two elements to represent my brand. I really love how things in the 70's were kind of a little over the top, a little gaudy, and really kitschy. That's pretty much my jumping off point. You have to think of yours. What kind of environment describes you best, how do you want to communicate that to your readers? Do you want lots of texture? Do you want something give off a scrapbook/DIY vibe? Vintage, and if so, what era? Look at how Mandi has made her theme very textural and natural. There are layers of paper and handwritten elements. Notice how her theme is very different from Kaelah's but they both are extremely effective in communicating their respective brands.

4. Do you have a blog name yet?

If so, does it accurately sum up you and your brand? Does it quickly give your readers an idea of who you are? If you don't have a blog name yet, make sure you really consider how you want to be known.

Your blog name is very much a representation of your brand. Think about how when you hear the word "Starbucks" so many images and thoughts pop into your head. When someone says your blog name, it should be the same (though on a micro-scale). I mean, so many people out there who read my blog know me as Delightfully Tacky, not as Elizabeth. So I would hope that my blog name communicates to them something about who I am, what my "brand" is all about, and what they should expect to see from my brand. Some great blog names are: A Beautiful Mess, The Clothes Horse, and The Coveted.

5. What sentence sums up your brand?

Think of a catchphrase or headline that would define your blog. As my high school english teacher would say, it should be short, sweet & to the point. Kyla's headline is "Daydreams from a handmade prairie life", Rachel's is "Vintage, Home Decor, and Big Messes", Julie's is "big hair, small wallet". As you can see, you get a pretty good idea what to expect from each person's blog based on that quick snippet. It's not totally necessary to have a sentence like that posted on your blog or in your headline, but it's a good idea to think of how you'd describe your blog in a quick, short sentence. It'll help you define the focus of your blog and be able to communicate that to others.

Remember that design elements should be used simply and in moderation. Don't try to mash together more than one theme, don't use a bajillion fonts or colors. You don't want your brand to be muddied with all these stories you're trying to tell. Figure out what you want to say, and then create a visual plan of action to simply, accurately, and effectively communicate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment