Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Modcloth's Susan's tips on travel style!


by Susan Gregg Koger, ModCloth

As the Chief Creative Officer and Head Buyer at ModCloth, I travel weekly between our three offices and attend trade shows all around world. Below are some tactics I've developed over the years - helpful hints for the next time you're hopping on a plane!

Don't wear anything too restrictive. You want to be comfortable, especially on longer flights! But you can totally be comfortable on a plane without wearing a velour sweat suit.

I’ve tried a lot of different looks. My go-to airport outfit these days is a: jersey maxi dress (this is a current favorite), a thin cardigan, a circle scarf (can also double as a pillow), and a large purse.

Shoes that are easy to take on & off (and possibly run in) are KEY. Nothing with laces. I'm really into my Worishofer sandals - they're super comfortable! I also always keep a pair of socks in my purse to slip on during the flight. They're more comfortable and way warmer!

If you wear contacts, be sure to bring a case and glasses in your purse.

Always be sure to pack headphones. They're helpful for zoning out and dozing off. These Lullatone songs, played softly on repeat, put me to sleep immediately.

I always take off my rings for the same reason I wear looser clothing - anything too tight becomes uncomfortable!



My number one tip might have to be the hardest: always pack a carry-on if you can! You have less risk of losing your luggage (at the worst), and on a lighter note, less wait time at the airport. It's no small feat - so I usually check my bag if I’m traveling for more than 4 days.

An idea for the way back: if you're returning with a pleasantly-scented soap from your hotel, put it in one of the zippered compartments of your bag - it will scent the whole thing nicely!

I use the dust bags that come with fancier shoes and bags to keep my whole life organized. I use them for accessories, undergarments, and for all of my power cords.

I adore my Hello Kitty laptop case because you don't have to remove your laptop from it when going through security! Also, it almost always garners a smile from the security officers. Anything that makes that process easier is highly important.

I love having my Kindle during flights. I have my pick of books without having to lug them around!

It's really important to stay hydrated, too. Even though water bottles at the airport are overpriced; it's completely worth it. You'll feel much better when you arrive at your destination.

I hope these tips make your travel experiences for fashion week and beyond a little less hectic.

Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment