Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Packing for NYFW

by Tieka, Selective Potential

Now that our trip is all planned, let's start packing! In this post, you'll learn how to pack for fashion week (or any trip for that matter!) and some of the essentials that I couldn't live without! To get started, I always plan my outfits from head to toe before I even begin to start packing. I planned 6 full outfits and 3 additional outfits for those just in case instances. Once I had my outfits planned, I started packing. Here we go!

1. I pack all of my shoes first into the very bottom of my suitcase. That way you can pack other things around them, but trying to squeeze your shoes in last is a nightmare. Try to arrange them so you save the most amount of space. With chunky heels, it can be impossible, but do what you can!

2. I first pack all of my undergarments (underwear, bras, slips) around my shoes to really pack them in. Then, I start with all of my outfits (folded as nicely as possible) and start layering them into your mix. You can't guarantee nothing will wrinkle, but the better you have items folded, the better they will come out when you hit the city.

3. I pack all of my jewelry like necklaces, rings and bracelets into a smaller pouch. That way they don't get tangled with other things like zippers on your dresses or shoelaces. A clear pouch works nicely so you can see what is inside when you're unpacking.

4. Don't forget sunglasses! I usually pack a few pair to match a few different outfits. Think of your outfits and which ones might go with them. I always try to pack a black and brown pair, along with a funky and fun pair. A pair of clear glasses might be helpful too, in case it's night-time and windy or you just want another element of style to go along with your outfits.

5. I roll all of my tights as tight as possible and put them into a separate storage area in my suitcase. I also put my belts in the same compartment - saving space by folding them in half.

6. Do not forget a pair of flats! These flats from Gap are my favorite because they can easily be stowed inside this little bag and put away into my purse. I packed 6 pairs of heels for my trip... and last year I had to break down and purchase flats because my feet hurt so bad. I went to NYC thinking that my feet would be fine... I always walked in heels, but in NYC, you walk everywhere!

7. Don't forget the little things! I always pack a little notepad and pen for taking notes at the conferences or to jot myself little reminders. I also pack my business cards for networking and handing out to new people I meet. (Psst... I purchase mine from Moo.com!)

8. Don't forget your favorite perfume! It always give me a boost of self-confidence as soon as I spray it on. Be sure you pack this into your suitcase you check instead of your carry-on. Be sure to read up on airline fluids regulations before flying.

9. The biggest thing I worry about (even more so than clothes!) are my beauty items. Be sure you pack all of the basics like toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Think about your daily routine from start to finish to see if you're missing anything. Other than the basics, here are some additional tips for packing some cosmetic items!
  • Vaseline: I couldn't live without vaseline. It can be used as lip balm, dry skin, sore feet, anything.
  • Tweezers: A stray eyebrow hair, anything. Just be sure to pack these in your checked suitcase instead of your carry on.
  • Vitamins: I prefer the gummies because sometimes you don't always have something to drink. With the gummy vitamins, you can snack and go!
  • Lint roller: Keep it in your purse. It will always come in handy. I love the cute travel-sized ones
  • Tums: You never know when your stomach might ache.
As for makeup... plan ahead. I always go into Sephora and talk to the clerk about 'flash-photography' friendly makeup and tricks. Here is my essential make-up list. I'm all about the basics on a trip.
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Primer
  • Make Up For Ever HD Foundation
  • Make Up For Ever Extreme Camouflage Cream
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion
  • Liquid eyeliner
  • Mascara
  • Lipstick: Cherry red, coral orange, pretty pink
  • Pink blush (good for cheeks and even as a eye shadow!)
  • Brushes (foundation brush, concealer brush, blush brush
  • Burt's Bees lip balm
I hope this helps you in packing for your next trip! I just try to envision everything head to toe that I would need when I'm there and pack accordingly! It even helps to write down your daily routine... and see what items you need during those steps! Now we're all packed for NYFW!

No comments:

Post a Comment